Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I suppose it´s about time for another blog.  We´ve been very busy these last few days.  Everything about Colombia has been wonderful so far!  The people are all very friendly and the food is great!  Still no internet at home, but hopefully soon.

On Sunday, we got picked up early and left Bogota for a small town called Villa de Leyva, which is about 4 hours north of Bogota.  It was a beautiful little artisan town.  While we were there, we got a chance to relax a little bit and meet the Colombian new teachers who will be teaching at CNG this year too.  We had a few meetings about the history of CNG and the culture of Colombia.  We also had our first official meeting with our building principals.  At night there was some dancing (yes, I did a little dancing) and they had a seminar for us where they showed us a whole bunch of fruits and vegetables from Colombia.  They gave us information about how to cook with them and we got to taste most of them.  My favorite of course was the mango, but there were lots of other kinds that I had never seen or heard of before.

Yesterday after we got back from Villa de Leyva, I met my friend Daniela for dinner.  She is from Bogota, but we met in Kenya.  It was so nice to see her again.  She is a student not too far from where I live, so we met when she was done with class.   This weekend we might go to some sort of food festival in the city center.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you the best as you begin your great (crazy) adventure teaching abroad. It's fun to hear about what you are doing and think back to when Bernard and I started out teaching in Prague. I know you will have a wonderful experience filled with many great adventures. Have you figured out the fire place yet? What is your kitchen like? We started out with a two burner hotplate and eventually talked the landspeople into adding a toaster oven. We lived in the same 300 square foot apartment for the entire three years we were in Prague and even entertained many visitors. -- Michele Ziegeweid

    ReplyDelete