Sunday, September 9, 2012

So you know those moments when you look around and you think, "I can't believe this is my life"?  I'm had a few of those lately.  The most recent being today.  I'm sitting here in my apartment watching the Green Bay Packer game.  At first glance, it feels like I could be sitting anywhere in the United States, except for two things.  First, the game commentary is in Spanish.  Second, I look out my window to the expansive city of Bogota with all their lights on.  It's beautiful.  (I tried to get a picture, but it doesn't really do it justice...guess you'll have to come visit to see for yourself, hint, hint)  I guess it still feels a little surreal to be here and call this city home.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I've been thinking more about home lately.  We're getting ready to start our 5th week of school here, but everyone at home is just getting started.  It just feels strange to know that life at home is continuing without me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a blast and there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision to come here.  It just feels strange.  

Now on to something a little less sappy...I love living in the city!  The biggest place I've ever lived is Weston, WI (and we all know that's nothing to brag about).  Going from Weston to Bogota, which has about 8 million people has certainly been a change, but it's great.  There is always something to do here!  For example, yesterday a few of us went to a jazz festival, I'm going to go see the opera La Boheme, and I've gotten tickets to two concerts including Lady Gaga!  

It's not all perfect here, however.  There is a dog who constantly barks like crazy next to my building.  I just now figured out how to use my bank account and I've been here for a month and a half.  Services aren't always reliable.  But I think that the positives far outweigh the negatives.  The people here have been super friendly and helpful, even though I don't really speak Spanish.  There is always something to do, and usually someone to go with you.  It's pretty easy to get around the city using public transportation and taxis (except sometimes during traffic.)

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it often feels surreal to be here. So much to do, as well. This was my first day just sitting around, but only because I am sick as a perro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird starting without you and still weird! We miss you,but I'm so glad you're happy and having the time of your life :) Love hearing and seeing about all your crazy adventures!! Things here have been crazy and changing daily, but we're surviving and the year seems to be starting off pretty well. Can't wait to hear more about your little friend who is replacing seymour for now ;) I think your rat and the dog would make good playmates...you should bring him back with you to meet Seymour!

    ReplyDelete